Saturday, December 25, 2010

DETECTIVE

: one who discovers the existence of

This has been a Christmas season of finding our own way.  Of seeking to let go of the things that didn't fit or wouldn't work and clinging to the best this season has to offer for our family.  Today offered bountiful blessings: excited gift givers, delighted receivers, a white Christmas (my first!), lunch with family, time to ride new bikes on our quiet street, a snowball fight followed by hot chocolate to end the day.  All in all, a Christmas worth celebrating, even if it wasn't steeped in tradition.





Last year I started a tradition that I chose to continue this year: as my final gift to my daughters, I sit with each of them and give them a gift of words.  I sometimes feel like I am a detective: looking here and there for glimpses of who my daughters really are.  I don't think their actions define who they are any more than my actions define who I am, so how to figure out exactly who these wondrous beings are?  Just keep looking.  And, like any good detective, keep notes of your findings.

So I spent a bit of time telling my daughters that I know they are complex and awesome, but that I spent a bit of time and made a list of words that describe them as they are right now.  We agreed that these things may change and that my words do not define them - they get the pleasure of defining themselves.  Nevertheless, I want them to know how I see them.

Here were their lists (with one word for each year of age):

A
Dancer
Reader
Loyal Friend
Nurturing
Maturing
Beautiful
Imaginative
Listener
Giving
Cautious

B
Creative
Musical
Singer
Beautiful
Funny
Playful
Leader
Reader
Risk Taker

K
People-oriented
Generous
Helpful
Welcoming
Curious
Beautiful

My words to describe them have changed a lot in just one year.  But this has been a year that has brought plentiful, beautiful, painful, heartening and sad change, so who would expect them to do anything other than change, grow and discover more of who they are.

With treats for Santa

No comments: